RELEX Solutions create cutting-edge supply chain and retail planning software. Within our platforms, we have the power and potential to increase adaptability, efficiency and sustainability in the consumer goods and retail value chain. Our impact is tangible; from sustainability and eliminating waste to delighting customers and delivering great tailored tech solutions, we’re curious and passionate challenge-seekers creating the future of retail today.
Our Technology Team:
Our Technology team enjoy a challenge. They’re hungry to learn, and don’t hesitate to ask what, why, and how. They get to work with our unique, in-house database engine to create high-quality scalable code (just imagine, thousands of stores, millions of products, and billions of rows of raw data!) Their expertise positively impacts the environment and business processes around the world; alongside international colleagues, they drive change and develop solutions that become our pioneering end product. From functional programming, machine learning and interesting algorithms, to building big data pipelines, they’re behind it all. They can work in a flexible way, remote or in-office – after all, they contribute to all our achievements, so we reward them with genuine work-life balance and access to every opportunity.
Join us as a Java Software Developer in Helsinki or Lisbon, and this is some of what you’ll be doing:
- Developing different parts of the database, such as query engine, encoding/decoding, storage layer, concurrency and parallelism, query API, transactions, vectorization, optimizations, parsing, clustering etc.
- Profiling and improving performance
- Fuzzing (aka Fuzz Testing)
- Learning about database development
- Implementing new features based on business needs. Example: if data integrity in system integrations requires a new compare-and-set operation, then we implement it.
- Developing and maintaining software components primarily in Java, with some parts written in Kotlin, Scala, and JRuby.
- In our team you will be developing our in-house in-memory database that handles tens of billions of rows of data. Our database is deployed on a clustered platform, ensuring high availability and horizontal scalability. Emphasizing concurrency, parallelization, functional and immutable paradigms, and efficient memory usage, you’ll thrive in our multi-core environment.
We’re looking for:
- Experience in developing database systems is considered a bonus
- Passion for implementing complex algorithms in Java and tackling non-trivial problems in a performant way.
- Solid understanding of data structures and their impact on CPU and memory usage (pros and cons different data structures have when it comes to CPU and memory usage and how to measure it)
- Experience with large databases is also valuable.
- Understand the importance of writing good covering tests and doing thorough code reviews
- Eagerness to learn and an open-minded attitude.
- Fluent English communication skills
Our Helsinki office
RELEXians can be found around the world, but here we’re based in Helsinki. We’re passionate about using our technology to improve sustainability and change the world. Our office provides a great space for you to socialise, exercise and even take time out in our relaxing areas. We make sure our unique approach to flexibility and work-life balance comes across loud and clear; we’re conveniently located, there’s plenty of public transport and you can even bring your pet to the office!
Across RELEX, our people are supported and rewarded.
In Finland, we go even further. As well as:
• A competitive salary
• Flexible and hybrid working
• Extensive physical and wellbeing support
• Up to 8 weeks of annual leave per year
• A true hybrid-working policy (home and office)
We also offer a range of benefits to support you, your family, and your life situation. We value your work-life balance and provide flexible hours with RELEX specific parental leave agreements. As we’re a diverse team of smart, motivated and fun people, we also have an office gym, offer a mobile phone package and bike leasing.
Whatever your passion and whatever drives you, you can realise your ambitions, fulfil your potential and be the change at RELEX. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. Join us and make a tangible impact on the world and your career – apply today.
Are you the one we’re looking for? Apply today and become a part of our RELEX family!
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form as soon as possible, but no later than 29th of February 2024. Please note that we will fill this position as soon as we’ve found the right person, so we recommend that you act quickly.
If you have questions, Sanober Masalawala (firstname.lastname@example.org) from our Talent Acquisition team is happy to answer them by email. Kindly note that we cannot process any applications through email.