RELEX Solutions create cutting-edge supply chain and retail planning software. Within our platforms, we have the power and potential to increase adaptability, efficiency and sustainability in the consumer goods and retail value chain. Our impact is tangible; from sustainability and eliminating waste to delighting customers and delivering great tailored tech solutions, we’re curious and passionate challenge-seekers creating the future of retail today.
Our Technology Team:
Our Technology team enjoy a challenge. They’re hungry to learn, and don’t hesitate to ask what, why, and how. They get to work with our unique, in-house database engine to create high-quality scalable code (just imagine, thousands of stores, millions of products, and billions of rows of raw data!) Their expertise positively impacts the environment and business processes around the world; alongside international colleagues, they drive change and develop solutions that become our pioneering end product. From functional programming, machine learning and interesting algorithms, to building big data pipelines, they’re behind it all. They can work in a flexible way, remote or in-office – after all, they contribute to all our achievements, so we reward them with genuine work-life balance and access to every opportunity.
Join us as a Java Software Developer in Helsinki or Lisbon, and this is some of what you’ll be doing:
- Developing different parts of the database, such as query engine, encoding/decoding, storage layer, concurrency and parallelism, query API, transactions, vectorization, optimizations, parsing, clustering etc.
- Profiling and improving performance
- Fuzzing (aka Fuzz Testing)
- Learning about database development
- Implementing new features based on business needs. Example: if data integrity in system integrations requires a new compare-and-set operation, then we implement it.
- Developing and maintaining software components primarily in Java, with some parts written in Kotlin, Scala, and JRuby.
- In our team you will be developing our in-house in-memory database that handles tens of billions of rows of data. Our database is deployed on a clustered platform, ensuring high availability and horizontal scalability. Emphasizing concurrency, parallelization, functional and immutable paradigms, and efficient memory usage, you’ll thrive in our multi-core environment.
We’re looking for:
- Experience in developing database systems is considered a bonus
- Passion for implementing complex algorithms in Java and tackling non-trivial problems in a performant way.
- Solid understanding of data structures and their impact on CPU and memory usage (pros and cons different data structures have when it comes to CPU and memory usage and how to measure it)
- Experience with large databases is also valuable.
- Understand the importance of writing good covering tests and doing thorough code reviews
- Eagerness to learn and an open-minded attitude.
- Fluent English communication skills
RELEXians can be found around the world, but here we’re based out of our brand new central office in Lisbon, where we act as a true extension of the Finnish team. With the metro close by and multiple workspaces – including a lounge and filled fridge – our office is a tech hub and a great place to problem-solve, enjoy work, and then socialise with workmates! Your future teammates make our culture what it is, and we make sure they feel valued and appreciated with lots of activities and gatherings and of course, the genuine flexibility that’s on offer.
Across RELEX, our people are supported and rewarded. In Portugal, we go even further. As well as:
- Competitive compensation aligned with Nordic countries’ salary levels.
- The choice to work wherever and however you are most productive.
- 25 days of Annual Leave.
We also provide life and health insurance for you, your significant other and your children and encourage taking one day a week for self-development or tech exploration. We offer two paid volunteer or charity days a year, contribute to your monthly home internet and data allowance and host monthly fun, friendly and varied socials in the office. But that’s not all.
We’re on a journey with our pioneering technology and exciting growth, which is why we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We can’t wait to see what challenges you’ll overcome and what problems you’ll solve. Join us and work with the best. Be curious. Be RELEX – Apply today.
Are you the one we’re looking for? Apply today and become a part of our RELEX family!
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form as soon as possible, but no later than 29th of February 2024. Please note that we will fill this position as soon as we’ve found the right person, so we recommend that you act quickly.
If you have questions, Sanober Masalawala (email@example.com) from our Talent Acquisition team is happy to answer them by email. Kindly note that we cannot process any applications through email.